December 28, 2017

measuring time




















fifty centimetres
no more and no less
that is what you were
the day you arrived
on a distant winter morn

fifty centimetres
of pure wriggling joy
just the right size 
to hold-to soothe
in the crook of an arm
to cuddle- to clasp
close to a heart

but look at you now!
almost my height
'bend a little Amma..
so that I look tall!'
you whisper as we pose

seems just yesterday
I was rocking you to sleep
seems just this morning
I watched your tottering steps

time flies in moments
that I know for sure
in a swift blurry motion
ten years are gone
but as we stand close
side by side like this
heads almost touching

I realise anew
time flies now
in centimetres too!


at Lysterfield Lake, Melbourne- Dec, 2017




10 comments:

  1. The day they beat us in many other things, will not be far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian- true! getting there already in some ways!

      Delete
  2. From the day, the boy could walk
    His height has been marked
    On the passage wall, with chalk
    In centimeters and with date.

    The periods between the marks
    Seem to be regular in years
    But, the distances shown
    Are irregular with growth rates

    Sure you'l beat mum in height
    And with many more fortunes,
    The future will be bright
    Adored with excellent values.





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Thaththa, yes he is looking forward very much to beating me in height!

      Delete
  3. 'The day I'm winning; is the day you beat me..'

    Touching.. yes they grow fast.. and almost beating us.. in all fronts.. #happy parents.. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. //'The day I'm winning; is the day you beat me..' // I like it.. I should tell him that :)

      Delete
  4. Watching them grow makes you not just happy but truly blissful!!!

    Really a great composition Malee, something you would want to read again and again...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ravi, yes blissful to see them grow up and also scary to see how fast!

      good to see that you are back :)

      Delete
  5. oh it was not fifty centimeters but fifty four for me!! I saw her face for a second and i knew my whole world changed!!! Remembering the joy she brought!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Loku malli, sending love to little miss fifty four! :)

      Delete