June 19, 2018

මළගම

Funeral |Rupi Kaur

when I go from this place
dress the porch with garlands
as you would for a wedding my dear

pull the people from their homes
and dance in the streets

when death arrives
like a bride at the aisle
send me off in my brightest clothing
serve ice cream with rose petals to our guests

there's no reason to cry my dear
I have waited my whole life
for such a beauty to take my breath away

when I go
let it be a celebration
for I have been here
I have lived
I have won at this game called life


දිනමිණ වසත් සුළඟ 19.06.2018 


3 comments:

  1. The reality of life and the proper way to accept that 'reality' has been very well expressed in the verses. the Sinhala translation by you has added a vivid scenario to this unavoidable 'ending of the life process'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like this part //I have won at this game called life//. What a beautiful and positive way to look at death. The translations carries the mood/tone of the original poem. I would have preferred 'rosa mal pethi' instead of 'rosa pethi' as my first thought when I read the sinhala one was 'pink tablet?'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. මටත් හිතෙන්නේ සමරන්න ඕන උපත නෙමේ, මරණය.. එහෙම කරන්න පුලුවන් වෙන විදිහට ජීවත් වීම තම තමන්ගේ තෝරා ගැනීමක්...කෙනෙකුට එහෙම ජීවත් වෙන්න ඉඩ දීම අනිත් අයගේ වගකීමක්..

    Our life is matter of choices, isn't it ?

    ReplyDelete